Victory
Such a joyous word! It is hard to say it without smiling. When I reflect on victory the first memory that comes to mind is the summer before my junior year of high school. For the entire summer, I had been playing in a local competitive junior tennis tournament series.
Some of the tournaments were close to home,
others were a bit out of the way. All of them were hot and humid. Muggy is the
word most locals use to describe the disgusting feeling of lethargy and sweat
that characterizes summers in the Mid-Atlantic region.
It was muggy that first weekend of August
when I finally made it through to the finals, the championship match. I don't
recall many details, but I do remember the triumph. In that moment, accepting
the first place trophy, (after drinking copious amounts of water,) I
experienced a rush of energy; a swell of pride; a sense of awe. I felt
accomplished.
It was the first time I had planned and
persevered to achieve a set goal. Sure, I had always tried to do well in school
and even played other sports. This was different. There was a tangible effect derived from my
meticulously tailored practice sessions.
The tangible effect was my first place
winner trophy and I was elated! This victory culminated all my summer long
practice. It was worthwhile and meaningful for me to pursue, which is what made
it so joyous.
Victories are earned; they require
determination, commitment and creativity. Determination provides the drive, pushing
you to do better than yesterday. Commitment fuels the change, ensuring you
continue on after yesterday. Creativity expands the boundaries, forcing you to
improve in ways unfathomable yesterday.
Isn't it time for you to be victorious?
Comments
Post a Comment